E-ISSN 2367-699X | ISSN 2367-7414
 

Original Research 


Incidence of oral cancer in patients visiting Government Medical College and Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana: A prospective study

Kamran Bokhari Syed, Nageswara Rao Manda.

Abstract
Oral squamous cell carcinoma is one of the most common subtypes of oral cavity cancer involving the oral cavity. worldwide, associated with high morbidity and mortality. A study by the International Agency for research on oral cancer has reported that the incidence of oral cancer in India may increase from 1 million to more than 1.7 million from 2012 to 2035.
Aims: A prospective study over 2 years was designed to assess the clinical presentation, age and gender most commonly affected, site, and histopathological variant.
Settings and Design: Prospective Study, Descriptive Data, Cross-Sectional Design.
Methods and Material: A detailed questionnaire was designed to assess the incidence of oral cancer over a period of 2 years among patients visiting Government Medical College and General Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana. A total of 118 patients with suspected Oral Cancer were screened and their biopsies performed.
Statistical analysis used: Descriptional Analysis of Data.
Results: 69 were males (58.47%) and the rest 49 (41.53%) were females. Major incidence was noted in the 5th decade of life. Clinical presentation varied from the ulcer (54.2%), swelling (20.5%), ulcer and swelling (11.8%), and swelling of the neck along with ulcer in primary site (13.5%). 49.2% of the patients presented with a lesion in the tongue making it the highest prone site. 94% of the patients were diagnosed as squamous cell carcinoma followed by 4% as verrucous carcinoma and 2% as sarcoma.
Conclusions: The incidence of oral cancer is low in Nizamabad District. The presentation of oral cancer is similar to other regions. Males have a higher rate of incidence as compared to females. Tongue remains to be the site with the highest incidence which correlates with similar findings in other regions of the world.

Key words: Oral Cancer, Smoking, Squamous cell Carcinoma, Nizamabad, Telangana


 
ARTICLE TOOLS
Abstract
PDF Fulltext
How to cite this articleHow to cite this article
Citation Tools
Related Records
 Articles by Kamran Bokhari Syed
Articles by Nageswara Rao Manda
on Google
on Google Scholar


How to Cite this Article
Pubmed Style

Syed KB, Manda NR. Incidence of oral cancer in patients visiting Government Medical College and Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana: A prospective study. Int J Surg Med. 2021; 7(2): 56-60. doi:10.5455/ijsm.Oral-Cancer-279


Web Style

Syed KB, Manda NR. Incidence of oral cancer in patients visiting Government Medical College and Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana: A prospective study. http://www.ejos.org/?mno=22313 [Access: May 19, 2021]. doi:10.5455/ijsm.Oral-Cancer-279


AMA (American Medical Association) Style

Syed KB, Manda NR. Incidence of oral cancer in patients visiting Government Medical College and Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana: A prospective study. Int J Surg Med. 2021; 7(2): 56-60. doi:10.5455/ijsm.Oral-Cancer-279



Vancouver/ICMJE Style

Syed KB, Manda NR. Incidence of oral cancer in patients visiting Government Medical College and Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana: A prospective study. Int J Surg Med. (2021), [cited May 19, 2021]; 7(2): 56-60. doi:10.5455/ijsm.Oral-Cancer-279



Harvard Style

Syed, K. B. & Manda, . N. R. (2021) Incidence of oral cancer in patients visiting Government Medical College and Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana: A prospective study. Int J Surg Med, 7 (2), 56-60. doi:10.5455/ijsm.Oral-Cancer-279



Turabian Style

Syed, Kamran Bokhari, and Nageswara Rao Manda. 2021. Incidence of oral cancer in patients visiting Government Medical College and Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana: A prospective study. International Journal of Surgery and Medicine, 7 (2), 56-60. doi:10.5455/ijsm.Oral-Cancer-279



Chicago Style

Syed, Kamran Bokhari, and Nageswara Rao Manda. "Incidence of oral cancer in patients visiting Government Medical College and Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana: A prospective study." International Journal of Surgery and Medicine 7 (2021), 56-60. doi:10.5455/ijsm.Oral-Cancer-279



MLA (The Modern Language Association) Style

Syed, Kamran Bokhari, and Nageswara Rao Manda. "Incidence of oral cancer in patients visiting Government Medical College and Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana: A prospective study." International Journal of Surgery and Medicine 7.2 (2021), 56-60. Print. doi:10.5455/ijsm.Oral-Cancer-279



APA (American Psychological Association) Style

Syed, K. B. & Manda, . N. R. (2021) Incidence of oral cancer in patients visiting Government Medical College and Hospital, Nizamabad, Telangana: A prospective study. International Journal of Surgery and Medicine, 7 (2), 56-60. doi:10.5455/ijsm.Oral-Cancer-279